Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that leasing can be confusing - read some of our frequently asked questions below!

Yes – your leasing agreement will include Road Fund Licence (otherwise known as vehicle tax) for the duration of the contract.

Yes – all contracts for all vehicles include breakdown recovery, the length and provider of which will vary depending on the manufacturer.

Maintenance is an optional cost and includes servicing, necessary maintenance of tyres, brakes, the exhaust and the battery of your vehicle. Including maintenance in your contract can give you peace of mind and provide a fixed cost for the duration of the lease, so you won’t have any unexpected expense.

For personal leases, the lessee is responsible for arranging fully comprehensive insurance on the vehicle for the life of the contract and they must be the main policy holder.

For business leases, the insurance certificate should be in the company name or a director's name. Where an employee is required to drive the vehicle, a letter on company headed paper may be requested confirming the employee’s position within the company and that they are authorised to drive to vehicle.

If a lease vehicle has been declared a ‘total loss’ – i.e. written off or stolen – we need to be made aware as soon as possible. Your finance provider will require written confirmation from your insurance company that the vehicle is a total loss before providing an amount for settlement of the vehicle contract.

It’s worth noting that your finance provider will not enter negotiations with your insurance company, you will need to do this. Also, you should be aware that the insurance value of the vehicle may not always cover the value which is outstanding on the lease.

In the event of a total loss, our consultants will be able to give you all the information and instruction you need, so please contact us.

The initial rental is payment usually equivalent to 3, 6 or 9 monthly rentals and is payable to the finance company. Initial rental payments may be required from when delivery of the vehicle is booked while some other funders will require the initial rental after the car is delivered. The payment for the initial rental can be collected either by bank transfer or by direct debit, our team will advise.

This rental payment is part of the hire agreement and is therefore non-refundable. Having a larger initial rental payment can reduce your monthly payments, so it may be worth looking at different payment options to see what works best for you.

Monthly payments are usually taken a month after vehicle delivery, these payment are taken by the finance company and the date set by the finance company.

All vehicles arranged through iCarLease are supplied through a manufacturer franchised, nationwide dealer network. We have excellent relationships with our approved dealer network, enabling us to provide an efficient, reliable service.

Yes, all our vehicles come with the full UK manufacturer’s warranty, the length of which will depend on the manufacturer. To discuss the details of any warranty which comes with your vehicle, please contact us.

Mileage is one of the main elements in calculating how much a lease will cost. If you exceed the quoted mileage, you will be required to pay an excess mileage charge to the finance company at the end of lease, so it is always best to give an accurate figure when looking at a leasing deal.

Yes. As part of the leasing application process, you will be need to complete a finance application, either as a business or personal customer.

Most funders ask for a good to excellent credit score in order to be accepted for vehicle finance, though no lender will use credit score alone to approve or decline finance. Affordability is a big factor in them deciding whether or not you can meet the monthly payments regularly and on a timely basis. 

UK mainland delivery is usually included with any vehicle leased through iCarLease, though some manufacturers may charge additional fees, especially for more remote locations. To discuss any potential delivery charges on your vehicle, please contact us.

At the end of the agreement, the finance company will usually collect the vehicle for free, provided that enough notice is given to them to arrange the collection. The vehicle must remain fully comprehensively insured until it is collected.

For all leases provided by iCarLease, the finance provider will be the registered owner and keeper of the vehicle and will hold the V5C registration document (log book) for the duration of the contract.

Any changes to a contract would be at the discretion of the finance company. They will be aware that changes to personal circumstances can happen at any time, so it’s best to discuss your needs with them to see what options are available to you. Please be aware that any changes to a contract may incur an admin fee.

Any mileage driven which is over the amount stated in your hire agreement will incur a charge from the finance company, charged on a pence per mile basis. It is therefore always best to accurately estimate the mileage you will drive over the life of the contract.

As an example, if the excess mileage rate stated in your hire agreement is 10p per mile, and you exceeded your mileage allowance by 1,000 miles, you would be charged £100.

Early termination is always at the discretion of the finance company and will incur a charge, so you should contact them to discuss your options.

With contact hire and leasing, it is not possible for you to own the vehicle, so for all contracts provided by iCarLease, the vehicle will always be owned by, and returned to, the finance company at the end of the agreement.

The condition of the vehicle upon its return is your responsibility, just the same as if you owned the vehicle. For further information, please see our Fair Wear and Tear Guides, provided by the BVRLA (The British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association).

To view our Car Fair Wear and Tear Guide, please click here.

To view our Van Fair Wear and Tear Guide, please click here.

Depending on the finance provider, you may be allowed to take the vehicle abroad for a specified period of time. You will need to contact the finance provider to discuss your options and, if they agree to your request, to give them sufficient time to provide the paperwork that you need.

Along with standard documentation, leased vehicle drivers will require a VE103B certificate. This is the only legal substitute for the V5C (log book) and only an original copy is acceptable. The VE103B contains details of the vehicle and the driver and gives permission from the finance provider for the driver to be using the car abroad.

For further information on foreign travel with your leased vehicle, please click here